Skip to main content

5 Takeaways from Charles Duhigg's Book 'Power Of Habit'


AUDIO VERSION


Check out this episode!

YOUTUBE VERSION


I read this book with the hopes of curbing my bad habits.   Those being watching and masturbating to porn, consuming more than creating, and eating saturated fats which I know are bad for my heart.

I felt that the 'Power of Habit'  could've been summed up much quicker. It was padded with the stories and case studies.

Here are 5 takeaways.

Page 20.  'When a habit emerges, the brain stops fully participating in decision making.   It stops working so hard or diverts focus to other tasks.    So unless you deliberately fight a habit-unless you find new routines-the  pattern will unfold automatically.'

Page 73.   'The old cues and cravings for rewards were still there, waiting to pounce.   The alcoholics only permanently changed once they learned new routines that drew on old triggers and provided a familiar relief.'

Page 160.   'But sometimes, even destructive habits can be transformed by leaders who know how to seize the right opportunities.   Sometimes, in the heat of a crisis, the right habits emerge.'

I scribbled a note underneath this paragraph saying, 'Solutions in the problems.    Problems are good.'

Page 220.   'In general, sociologists say, most of us have friends who are like us.   We might have a few close acquaintances who are richer, a few who are poorer, and a few of different races-but, on the whole, our deepest relationships tend to be with people who look like us, earn about the same amount of money, and come from similar backgrounds.'

Page 78.   'If you identify the cues and rewards, you can change the routine.   At least, most of the time.   For some habits, however, there's one other ingredient that's necessary: belief.'

I came to this book looking for answers.    I learned about tools which can help me with my patterns, which I easily fall into.   I feel that if I apply what I've learned here, I can make a positive change in my life and stop feeling guilty when I'm indulging my bad habits.

You can purchase Mr. Duhigg's book here through this affiliate link https://amzn.to/2LcE55U .    It will support both myself and the author.   Thanks!

Thoughts? Comments? Do so below or you can contact me by calling or texting 1-201-429-0274. If you leave a voicemail please be aware, you only have 3 minutes.

Email me at improveandhavefun@gmail.com 


Social Media

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/paul_pvp_perez

Rate, like, leave a review! I will shout you out for sure!

If you've enjoyed this, please support this podcast by doing any, all your shopping through my affiliate links:

my eBay link: EBAY http://ebay.to/2e5mvmj

or my AMAZON link: http://amzn.to/2dRu3IM

or DONATE here https://bit.ly/2LD1mwy

Thank you!

Subscribe/watch/listen here:

iTunes http://apple.co/2pnmMqa

Android http://bit.ly/2p5fgQx

YouTube http://bit.ly/2ixiRo4

iHeartRadio http://bit.ly/2oBLZdX

Stitcher http://bit.ly/2p8oTi2

TuneIn http://bit.ly/2oE6xUQ

Google Play http://bit.ly/2oEizNZ





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the Paul Has Fun Blog!

  On this blog, I dig into my hobbies and document my life and interests.   I hope to encourage you to do the same! Thanks for spending time with me. Scroll down for the latest content.   WELCOME!   

Podcast: Talking Video Games and Making a Beat-December 2025 podcast & videos

In this episode, I dive into the excitement around Valve’s newly announced Steam Machine and what it could mean for the future of handheld gaming. I talk about the rise of hybrid console–portable systems, why shorter and more interactive games fit better into my life now, and why the GTA VI delay honestly doesn’t bother me. I also break down the controversy surrounding Rockstar’s recent employee firings and share my thoughts on the gaming community’s obsession with nostalgia. It’s a mix of tech talk, gaming culture, and personal reflections on how I play today.   Finally after a work injury kept me home for three months(late last year), I dove into music production, inspired by Marc Rebillet’s improvisational style and the gear he uses.   In this episode, I share the audio from my first beat video using this gear. To see/read the articles and videos on these topics, you can find the gaming article here.  The beat making post on here. Thoughts, comments, do so below. ...

Recommended Movies & TV. June-December 2022 and Overall Favorites of 2022.

Check out this episode! YouTube Version These are my favorite movies and TV show from June-December 2022. June Insidious 1 & 2 (Amazon & Netflix) I'd never seen the Insidious movies. However, my younger brother watched them and told me they were creepy(which piqued my interest). In June, the first part was available on Prime Video, and the sequel and third films were on Netflix. I binged all three, but I preferred the first two as they wrapped up the Lambert family storyline.    Black Phone (movies) The next Blumhouse movie on this list. The movie pundits I follow talked about this Black Phone's great word of mouth from early screenings. Saw this in theaters and was amazed at Ethan Hawke's villainous performance. His 2nd turn as a bad guy in 2022(first in Moon Knight on Disney+ months earlier, but much better here). Umbrella Academy S3 (Netflix) I like the Umbrella Academy and its different take on the superhero genre. The protagonist dysfunctional family consists o...